September 17, 2019
September 23 is the last day to submit a comment against the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) proposed rule to slash Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligibility and benefits and threaten access to free school meals. If you need a reason to submit a comment on this Broad-Based Categorical Eligibility rule and to ask others to join you, below are 10 to choose from.
The proposed rule would
- Eliminate SNAP benefits for 3.1 million individuals, disrupting the food security of children, seniors, and people with disabilities. Read our news statement on the proposed rule to learn more;
- Jeopardize free school meals for 500,000 children, threatening access to a back-to-school essential. Check out our blog post, “Broad-based Categorical Eligibility and School Meals,” to get the facts;
- Gut state options to get SNAP to more working families with children and older Americans, adversely impacting the nutritional well-being of some of our most vulnerable neighbors;
- Cut five-year funding for SNAP benefits by over $10 billion, further eroding SNAP adequacy. Watch our “By the Numbers: The Impact of the Trump Administration’s Proposed SNAP Rule” video for more details;
- Increase SNAP administrative costs by over $2.3 billion, weakening the program’s efficiency;
- Make applying for SNAP more burdensome for 19 million eligible people, potentially creating more hungry homes;
- Undermine SNAP families’ ability to save for emergencies and greater financial stability, effectively punishing efforts to achieve economic security and trapping families in a cycle of poverty;
- Weaken SNAP’s positive economic impacts during hard times, such as recessions. Dive into our blog post — “A Recession Might Be Coming. Can Somebody Tell the Trump Administration?” — to learn more;
- Further shift the task of addressing hunger to states, mayors, and charities that cannot alone adequately meet the need; and
- Sidestep Congress’ consistent bipartisan rejection of such proposals, including in the 2018 Farm Bill.
Use FRAC’s comment platform to let the administration know all the reasons why implementing the proposed rule is bad policy. Be sure to raise your voice and have your #HandsOffSNAP messages counted before the September 23 deadline.
Click to Tweet: September 23 is the last day to submit a comment against the Trump admin.’s proposed rule to slash SNAP benefits and threaten access to free #SchoolMeals. If you need a reason to submit a comment on this rule, @fractweets’ @emv52 has 10: bit.ly/2mnsskt #FRACChat #HandsOffSNAP